With only a few hours left to enjoy life as we know it, I wanted to get up early and make the most of my day. Holly had to be at Step One by 7 AM to set up their yard sale. Tilden Park, our favorite hiking spot, is right next door. So the dogs and I decided to drop off the wife and then go for an early morning hike.
There are two main trails that we like. One is steeper and longer, with great views of the Bay. Today we did the shorter, not quite as steep hike. It goes through a valley and is quite scenic although there are no views of the Bay.
Here is the view from where we started. That is Mt. Tamalpais north of SF in the background, the highest point in the Bay Area. Quynh and Jay live close to Mt. Tam.


Because I give the dogs a chance to be off-leash when we hike, I have to do a lot of surveillance. I watch out for other hikers - the dogs are friendly but I don't want them running up to people. Also, other dogs are too tempting for them. If they see a deer or mountain lion, I'm worried they'll give chase and I'll never see them again. Horseback riders are another hazard. The last time we came across a horse, Dumpy got kicked in the face. And for some reason, neither of these two are above turning a piece of manure into a snack. I've also got to watch to make sure they don't eat plants. Foxtails can become embedded in the dogs' throats, and it can require surgery to get them out.
Given all the energy I have to devote to watching the dogs, you can understand why the pictures are not the greatest. But here goes.
Ziggy inspects some local vegetation.

Dumpy prepares to pee on what I'm sure is federally protected wildlife.

Given the end-of-the-world prediction, I liked this photo of the dogs. Bathed in sunlight, they look ready to ascend to heaven.

I've never learned trees as well as I'd like, but living in the Bay Area will teach you what a eucalyptus tree looks like.

We don't go hiking as much as we used to. We get plenty of exercise on the walks around our hilly neighborhood. And our new place is not as close to Tilden Park. But I should try to take them hiking more often, they love being off-leash. Here Ziggy wraps up a 40-yard sprint.

Ready to head back home, and dirtying up our newly paid-off automobile. It's always bath time after a hike.

But it's worth it. They will sleep for about three days.
No comments:
Post a Comment