Thursday, July 4, 2013

Road Trip Highlights

Well the dogs and I made it from Oakland to Austin. It probably took about 27 hours of driving. Here we are about to leave. As you can see, the dogs had a lot more space in the car than I did.
The temperature got pretty warm, especially for the first two days. I didn't leave the dogs in the car for more than 60 seconds, and I tried to minimize the time they had to walk on pavement (especially blacktop).
At first, Dumpy was very anxious to be my copilot.
But both dogs settled into their usual daily schedule.
We spent our first night in San Bernardino. I ordered some takeout food from a Mexican restaurant across the street from the hotel. I told them I would have my two dogs with me, so they should bring my order outside. But they said that employees weren't allowed outside of the building. So I had to take the dogs inside the restaurant to pick up the order. I'm not sure how that was any better, but I'll let the San Bernardino Health Commission worry about that.
Here we're approaching Las Cruces, NM on the second day. We didn't stop there but it was a very nice-looking town.
The third day was all Texas, from El Paso to Austin.
But we got here and now we have official Texas plates for the Outback.
We even got the dog hiking started. Tonight we went over to the Barton Creek Greenbelt. Looks like a nice area with lots of trails and rock climbing, and a creek that is always dry.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you and "the boys" made it! I'm sure it was an interesting adventure.

    ReplyDelete