Sunday night Holly and I went to the Reds-Giants game. Accompanying us were our friends Bret and Jessica. Bret works with Holly. Bret and Jessica did some dogsitting for us before they got their own dog. Holly is also helping coordinate their upcoming wedding. It's a complicated relationship.
Bret is an experienced blogger. He currently writes a blog about his wedding-planning experience. It seems like Bret and Jessica have been engaged for about 10 years now, so the blog is a lengthy read. But Holly, Dumpy, and Ziggy get mentioned from time to time. Me, not so much.
Bret and I also have a newly-initiated contest to see who can have the most followers. The Souffle Circle currently has three. Not sure how many Bret has.
Anyway, here are some shots of an evening that was fun until the Reds started issuing leadoff walks to hand the game to the Giants by a 4-2 score.
This is how most people get to the game in San Francisco.

This is how others get to the game.

Here I am polishing off a free beer. The guys that we parked next to were tailgating. They were nice enough to offer me a beer, as long as I was a Giants fan. Go Giants!
Jessica and Holly pretend to be interested in Bret's analysis of why the designated hitter creates more strategy than having the pitcher bat.

The view of McCovey Cove from our seats in right field. The Reds and Giants combined for one home run in four games, but back in the day many baseballs were pumped into this very water by a steroid-laden Barry Bonds. There were a couple of kayakers, but I think most fans know that there aren't going to be many balls flying out of the stadium anymore. The Giants' mascot also spent a large part of the game padding around the Bay on some sort of board. Those costumes must be warmer than they look.

AT&T Park is world famous for its foul poles. They are very tall and straight, and have been painted a wonderful shade of yellow.
This was our view of the field. We were five rows from the top, but there isn't a bad seat. The stadium is not unlike the Reds' stadium, or a lot of the newer baseball-specific parks.

Holly was very happy when I told her that yes, she could have one of my garlic fries.

A better picture of us.
Holly is incredulous that Volquez refuses to challenge the weak-hitting Giants over the inside part of the plate. Even she knows that Melvin Burriss is no threat to pull a fastball for a home run.

As I said, 4-2 Giants was the final. Cincinnati teams drop to 1-2 in games I've attended here in the Bay Area. Reds beat the Giants last year, but we watched the Bengals blow it against the Raiders in November 2009. Better luck next year for the Reds in SF.
So first of all, The Souffle Circle has sent three people over to my blog! Three people dared to click that link. What brave, intrepid souls. I think one was me and one was Jessica, but still.
ReplyDeleteSecond, I have 11 subscribers (I think that's what Followers are called on Wordpress). So, I'm currently winning. But I do have like a year of blogging more than you. I don't doubt you'll catch and perhaps even surpass me.
Third, Holly and Jessica may have been pretending to be interested in what I had to say about the DH, but in reality, they were fascinated. They were each thinking, "Wow! Why on Earth does Bret think we care?"